8 Things To Look For In A Great Painting Contractor
Looking for a painting contractor isn’t always a simple choice. Listed below are a few things to look for when trying to find the right painting contractor.
- Extensive Product Knowledge- There are several thousand different paints, stains and wall coverings available in the marketplace today that each have their own specific purpose. A professional painter’s knowledge of the different products and their particular applications exceeds anyone you’ll find in the local paint department. Look for a contractor who shows they have extensive knowledge of the products you’ll need for your project. They might even have some helpful suggestions that you’ve never heard of.
- Portfolio/References of Past Work- Nothing speaks louder about a painting contractor than the finished product. If a painting contractor has been in business for any amount of time they should have plenty of happy customers willing to offer a reference. Also they should have a portfolio of before and after photos to give you a good idea of the kind of work they are capable of doing.
- Listening Skills- Do They take time to really listen to what you want? This is your project. Make sure things will get done the way you want them. Any good painting contractor will have suggestions and ideas which is an advantage of hiring their experience, but in the end you need to have the final word. You need to be able to openly communicate with your contractor. Make sure you and the contractor are on the same page.
- Licenses- Are they insured? A professional residential contractor should have workers compensation, general liability and also auto insurance. This is one of the more important things to look for in a painting contractor.
- Reasonable- Remember “stuff happens”. Materials need to be replaced, clients change their minds, or the weather slows progress. There are a number of problems that can occur before and during your painting project. Are you and your contractor both reasonable? Can you work together to where both parties are satisfied?
- Costs- In the long run cheaper is not always better. You will be living with the results of your project for a long time. The few extra bucks you save now may be forgotten later down the road but poor quality can annoy you indefinitely. Sometimes it’s better to spend a little extra on your project. It isn’t just the quality of the work the painter can do but also the quality of the materials.
- Experience- What is their experience? How much experience do they have? A residential contractor that has survived for about 5 years or more working in the same area more than likely preforms great work. Also look at specific experience doing projects like the one you are proposing.
- Warranty on Work- One of the most important aspects of your new paint job is how long it will look like a new paint job. Make sure you choose a painting contractor who will stand behind their work and are willing to come back and inspect and repair any deficiencies of their workmanship. When paints, stains, or wall coverings are applied correctly they are designed to last for several years. We like to boost our customers trust in us by offering a one year ALL-INCLUSIVE warranty. For the stretch of one full year, all painted surfaces are covered on your home. Call us anytime in the first year and we will take care of it. On the one year anniversary of your home being painted we will call and schedule a walk-through to make sure you are still satisfied with our work.
These are just a few things to look for when deciding which painting contractor would be right for you and your project. You want to be satisfied with your project so choose carefully on which contractor can fulfill your wants and needs.